Friday, October 2, 2015

Mad World and the Job of a Mother

I'm sitting in Milo's room holding him as he naps in hopes for a possibly extended nap because he's been too tired all day. Naturally, I was just perousing Facebook and only everything I saw was some sort of devastation or corruption. As if it isn't hard enough to stay positive in this ever depressive world...

All any mother wants is and has been for their children to grow up in a better world where violence isn't around every corner and fearing for their lives isn't something struggled with on a daily basis.

To be honest, I would much much rather see everyone's baby pictures and puppy pictures and good news posts than everyone being mindless bullies with poor grammar and a high wall to hide behind. I know this world has always been full of hate and malice; it has to be if we are to have our agency. The problem now, though is that every devastation is broadcast through the most public means and all the bad guys get credit. The heroes get as much recognition as some ridiculous dance craze and 2 weeks later we've all but forgotten who is responsible for the tragedy.

My poor baby will live in this world like the rest of us and all I can do is show him what it means to be responsible for his actions and make sure he knows that kindness and generosity are important.  All I can really pray for is that he'll be the one who will make friends with everyone and that he can show his friends that even if someone has opposing views, they still matter as a human. He can be the hero without getting credit and I will always be proud of him. If I can just do these seemingly simple things, I feel like I can change the world.

Isn't that what being as mother is really all about? Taking a child in our arms and making sure they are loved and can show love to those around them?

I know I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but I'm starting to know that my job on this earth as a mother is way more important than I ever imagined. And, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to staring at my precious boy until he wakes up.

Love, Miss Ellen

2 comments: