Monday, December 5, 2016

Ellen's Homemade Clam Chowder Recipe

Hi, friends!
I made some clam chowder last night and posted a picture of the leftovers today and had a few requests for the recipe. It was a bit of a mix between me following a recipe and me making one up. Which is how you learn how to cook, I guess. Anyway, here's my recipe!

Clam Chowder

Ingredients:

  • Onion (diced - about a cup)
  • Celery (diced - about a cup)
  • 2-3 Potatoes (diced)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 16 oz half and half
  • 2 cans clams (DON'T drain the juice!)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • enough pepper 
  • 1 tsp sage 
  • small sprinkle rosemary 
  • parsley
  • bacon bits
Directions:
  1. Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with water, bring to boil and let the potatoes cook. Drain.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt a stick of butter. Add the onion and celery (you can also do a carrot but I didn't) and stir. Cook until the onion is lightly translucent. 
  3. Add the flour to the saucepan while stirring. Once it's well incorporated, slowly pour in the half and half while stirring. 
  4. Dump the cans of clams INCLUDING the juice, potatoes, milk, salt, pepper, and spices (you can also add whatever spices you like, those are just my go-to ones). 
  5. Bring the chowder to a simmer and let it cook for 15ish minutes, stirring regularly. 
  6. Dish up the chowder and sprinkle parsley and bacon bits over top. (You may also want to use fresh bacon and add to the chowder as it's cooking. We did not have bacon, so this is definitely an afterthought on my part.) 
This was my leftovers! I heated it up in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point.


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment