Sunday, May 10, 2015

On Mothers, To Milo

Around this time last year, I had a melt-down. We had been trying to have a baby for several months and had not gotten anywhere and I was getting nervous. I rushed out of sacrament and into the nursery room we were in charge of at the time. Lots of tears happened and it wasn’t pretty, but by the time kids had started coming in, I had pulled myself together (as far as I remember) and it was a generally good day. Later that night, your Dad and I decided to tell my family that we wanted a baby, seeing as we were to be living with them in a few months. 

Last November, a couple months after actually moving in with them, I found out I was going to be a mommy. I couldn’t be more thrilled. I had only just recently realized it at the time, but I only ever always wanted to be a mom. I had tried out different career options and possibilities but all I wanted to do was stay home and teach my kids and watch them grow up and it was all finally happening. 

On this Mother’s Day, while I sit here watching your little head poke around my right side (I know, gross) and your little jabs that actually hurt sometimes, I am the most grateful for the mothers that came before me and taught me all I know. 

My mom taught me the values of laughing and having a clean house. She could crack jokes as well as a whip at our house, and that doesn’t mean slave labor. If there’s a garbage bag in my hand, you better know to get your tiny butt upstairs and clean up your toys before I take them. 
As much as I know you’re going to want to destroy everything (seeing as you’re likely to be your father’s son), I’m definitely going to be following you around cleaning up messes and making you help me because I’m a mean mom and you need to know the value of a clean house too. And I might make some really good jokes now and then and if you don’t laugh, you have to clean my messes too. Maybe someday, you’ll turn out to be a comedian. We’ll see. 

Your father’s mom taught me the values of learning all you can and taking things with a grain of salt. She’s always learning, it seems, and teaching others what she can. And, seeing how she had 5 boys and 2 girls and that husband, I’m just assuming that she had to take things in stride and be patient with everyone. Your father is a shining example of her hard work and dedication to whatever she may be doing. 

I hope to be able to teach you values like these someday. Thanks for being my most adorable son and you’re welcome for me being the best/hottest mom. 


Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment