Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Tale of Wail

Listen up all ye noobs
or moms still yet to be,
for I have a tale that is told so oft
by so many moms like me.

Once upon a year ago
or maybe 2 or 3
I said "My child will not scream"
Well, I just had to wait and see.

Months went by after Milo's birth
where he'd only moan or cry,
then eventually he learned a trait
that brought tears to my own eyes.

It wasn't the cooing or giggles so cute
that made this mommy weep,
but the bloodcurdling screams every day and/or night
when he shouldn't have made a peep.

And he didn't just scream during times he was mad
or hurt or hungry or tired,
but even the times when he was just playing around
that seemed to set off screams of fire.

Oh, how I wish I could retract that statement
I'd made so many moons ago.
I bet it's karma, or some kind of voodoo
that makes me write of this woe.

A word of warning to all of you
still holding to some sort of plan:
Babies don't follow the orders you give.
They don't even understand.

The best advice I can give you now
is only to go with the flow,
because I don't want you to regret what you'd said
however many moons ago.



Love, Miss Ellen


P.S. I still love him even though he screams. Even ask him. See? Still all toothy smiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment