Monday, February 26, 2018

Us Recently

A quick update on things. I guess it's been like eternity since I blogged. I blame it on the endless amounts of laundry I'm doing and the accidental naps I've been taking... Milo's been really good about it though. He doesn't wake me up for like 20 minutes, doesn't get into anything, and stays in the general area.

We completely took out his naps and bumped up bedtime and it's actually gone really well for us. He's typically in a better mood than he was for a long time and I don't have to put him down while Augie is screaming or wait to put him down till Augie is asleep. So it's overall just better.

We had a really hard time with accidents for a while. It was multiple times a day, often going all the way down his legs into his socks. And a couple times it was poop. gross. And we tried all kinds of things to get him to go back to being good at pottying but nothing worked. Not bribes, not punishments, nothing... And then one time after making him go potty when he kept telling me he didn't have to, I did a "Dry Undie Dance" and it literally changed everything. Every time he can get to the potty without pee in his pants, he and I do the dance and then I wipe him, he hops down and washes his hands, and it's back to playing. So ridiculously easy but so far today (after doing for this less than a week) he's only had one small accident. No big deal!

He still doesn't always love eating, but to avoid the whole "short order cook" business in our house, I put the normal dinner on his plate and make sure there's something on his plate he definitely will eat and theres no pressure to eat anything he doesn't want to. So far he's tried so many more foods than if I was forcing him to try things. It's still frustrating when the only thing he eats is bread, but at least he has been more adventurous. I also learned that when he's starving 30 minutes before dinner is ready, to give him vegetables as a snack. That way he'll get in his veggies by playing it as a snack and not part of the meal. Works like a charm!

Augie is 5 whole months old now! He can roll both ways, has started trying to scoot forward occasionally, and is relatively good at sleeping. He's happy to sleep in his crib and I'm planning on starting putting him in the same room as Milo for bedtime next week when Sean starts school (more on that later!). He poops SO much. Like... I didn't expect this. I can count on my fingers how many times Milo had a blowout and Augie has done it an average of daily since birth. I mean I should expect this since he's nursed and Milo was formula fed.

I really appreciate having both the experiences of formula and breast, because now I feel like I can relate with more moms now. I also found out recently that I likely have a condition called D-MER. It's a physiological response to the let-down reflex that brings on negative feelings. I get really sad and exhausted tired for 2 or 3 minutes at the beginning of feeding and then it's gone as fast as it came and I'm happy again. So weird. I know a lot of moms would wean because of this but it really doesn't bother me too much besides those few minutes. Plus I don't thing Augie would take formula very well.

Sean starts a few classes next week! It's exciting to see him prepare for our future doing something that he loves. It's also absolutely terrifying thinking of all the time he'll be away from home and all the pressure that puts on me... but it's all for the cause, right? He's studying to be an architect and I'm so proud of him working so hard. We'll adjust and then someday he can possibly design our dream home. Wouldn't that be amazing? I think so.

I'm just doing normal mom biz. I've made a few friends in our neighborhood that I really like and that I feel like I can rely on and ask for help from. And I feel like they don't feel bad asking me for help too, which I really appreciate. I'm working on rebuilding my wardrobe since my body is so different than before I was a mom and almost all of those clothes don't fit or look right or do mom stuff. Plus I've felt really shlumpy the last year just wearing whatever fits my pregnant or nursing body and I am really trying to pick clothes I love and that I feel good in instead of whatever is on clearance. Which means I'm spending more money but I'm also getting better quality clothes that look good. So it's worth it.

Anyway, that's us right now. Yay!


OH. I guess I forgot to mention that Milo had to have some stitches. And Sean had a staple in his head for a while too. We're still ready to be done with doctors and hospitals... whenever that happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment